Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor Okay, phew, here we go. Days of Blood and Starlight was an excellent sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I had extremely high expectations because Daughter was one of my favorite reads from last year and although I thought this was a good book, I didn't connect with it as well as I did its predecessor. I was able to set this book down and go about my day without thinking about how badly I needed and wanted to get back to it, that wasn't the case with Daughter.Okay, so what about the book did I really like? I loved the chapters with Zuzana and Mik. Those two have to be some of my favorite side characters in YA. I love their relationship and both of their personalities despite the fact that they are brazen hipsters. Whenever these two were in a scene, they completely take it over and it makes me wonder if Laini Taylor loves them more than her main characters. I liked that Laini Taylor is not afraid to write reality into her YA. Even though this is a fantasy, the realities of war, sexual relationships, and even attempted rape were written in a realistic fashion. They weren't watered down or alluded to, but were there in your face which lended itself to being a more honest read. The set up for the next book was great. I am really excited to find out how things work out for Akiva's army and Karou's revenants and I am looking forward to seeing how Kiri fares in impersonating The Wolf. I'm thinking that Thiago's followers who were more in line with the revenge tactics are going to figure out something is off. I have to say that Kiri taking over Thaigo's body was the best thing that happened in this book. It was something that I never saw coming and I loved being taken by surprise like this.Things that I didn't love but I can't say I hated either (there really wasn't anything in this book that I hated, just couldn't help but compare with the first book):The romance between Karou and Akiva is pretty nonexistent. I know that one of the bigger complaints by reviewers of the first book was that they didn't care for or thought that the story went downhill in the first book as soon as Karou and Akiva got together and they didn't like the Madrigal love story that was thrown in at the end. I feel like LT took those complaints to heart because she pretty much kept the two of them apart for most of this story and even though Akiva was still pining for Karou, he wasn't going to get any play from her, even after she realized that she did trust him and Issa points out that she does love him. Karou is still intent on letting him go thinking that they won't ever be able to be together anyway. I was one of the people who enjoyed the relationship as well as the backstory of their love, so I was a bit disappointed with the way things went in this book. I’m hoping that in the next book, we will get back some of that spark because it's a big reason that I fell in love with the story in the first place.I felt like some of the sentence structure in this book took away from the story. It seemed like every other sentence was about 50 words long and it made it hard to follow. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought that there was way too much information packed into every sentence that didn’t help to further the plot. Instead of being profound or beautiful, like I found the writing to be in DoS&B, I found the writing to be to be slow and bogged down with unnecessary purple prose. Again, it wasn’t enough to make me hate it; it just kept me from being able to fully immerse myself into the story. Overall, I did enjoy this book and look forward to picking up the next installment as soon as it comes out. This one definitely gets a solid 4 stars from me and I would recommend it to just about anyone who loves to read quality fantasy.