SPOILER ALERT!

Throne of Glass

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas

***Warning*** This is the most rambling review I have probably ever written. It really doesn't add anything to the discussion of this book, just insights into what I was thinking while reading and it might not even make any sense.

I give this book somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4. I really loved the writing. Sarah Maas is gifted when it comes to great visual details. There wasn't one scene where I couldn't picture everything perfectly because her writing made me feel as if I were there. From the get go, I liked the heroine for her cockiness and I loved how she was able to back it up when needed. One thing I didn't like was the character names. I understand that fantasy tends to lend itself to ridiculous character names, but sometimes it seemed like the author just took a regular name and changed one letter in it to make it seem unique thus Celena was Celaena and Nothing was Nothung. I don't know, I just wasn't digging them.

As far as the story went, I enjoyed the concept of having a contest for the king's champion. There were only a couple of things that bothered me and I'm going to spoiler tag them because I just don't want to risk ruining it for anyone who hasn't read it.

Okay, first, what was up with Chaol and Dorian thinking that Cain wouldn't know who Celaena was? If Cain was Perrington's champion and Perrington went with the prince to get her from the prison, then of course he is going to tell his champion everything he can to give him a leg up on the competition. I wondered why Celaena was so surprised that he already knew.

(show spoiler)

The love triangle annoyed me because it wasn't explored properly. Or...maybe I'm just mad because I wanted Celaena to be more interested in Chaol than she was during this book. I don't like having to wait for the next book for them to have something. I really don't mind love triangles, but at least if you're going to have one, make the guys actually go for the girl. I don't know, I just really didn't care for Dorian and didn't see what Celaena saw in him either... Ugh.

(show spoiler)

Two problems having to do with Chaol: first if he is the captain of the guard, why did he take it so hard that he killed someone? You'd think that someone who was in that position would have had to deal with something like that already. Come on man, act like you been there. I mean, he was so affected by killing Cain that he wouldn't even carry his sword around after that? Cain was a bad guy and he was trying to kill someone else. I don't get what .the big deal was with that. Second, why didn't Chaol have a reaction to the king's proclaimation at the end that if Celaena went against his commands he would have Chaol killed? You'd think that would rattle his whole loyatly to the king thing. It didn't make sense to me that it didn't seem to bother him

(show spoiler)

Anyway, overall, I found this to be an enjoyable read and will moe than likely pick up the next book when it comes out, just for Chaol alone. I really want him to come out on top.