Saving Grace (Mad World, #2)

Saving Grace (Mad World, #2) - Christine Zolendz Short review. First off, the positive: there is major potential here. I think with a bit more polishing and brainstorming for ideas, Christine Zolendez has all the tools necessary to be one of the next breakout star writers. I don't feel like she quite hit it out of the park with this series, but she definitely has the talent. I will be looking forward to read what she writes in the future and keep my fingers crossed that she will get a bit more confidence in her own ability. Now, this is where I'm going to get a bit ranty, so turn away if you aren't in the mood for my own form of brutal honesty which is only my opinion and, I promise, not intended to hurt anyone's feelings. The Negative: why oh why am I constantly reading the same story over and over and over again? This one was another one that seemed so familiar, call me Thoughtless, but I just can't seem to put my finger on where I've heard this before. Hmm.... Local band, that frequents a neighborhood bar, the lead singers is god's gift to women, the love interest of this man has to constantly watch women throw themselves at him, there is one member of the band or entourage who is a disgusting dog that constantly says lewd things, every other side character is constantly watching what is going on between the two main characters as the two main characters seem to be the center of everyone's universe. I could go on with this all day long. Just because some crap is thrown in about angels, (crap that hardly even had any point to it come this book) doesn't change the fact that this book reads like fan fiction for another popular one. I just want to shake this writer and tell her that she doesn't need to do this, she has it in her to create something new and original that will be well received without resorting to the same old story. Sigh. Another pet peeve that is becoming all too prevalent in books lately, is the girl on girl hate. It gets sooo annoying hearing our MC refer to any other girl who speaks to or flirts with her man as a slut, skank, etc. We are told a thousand times how good looking and awesome he is. I would be more surprised if women didn't hit on him. Shane lost a lot of his appeal for me because he talked crap to a girl who came on to him and put her down in front of Grace, to which Grace cheered. I don't get why making someone else feel inferior would make her feel better about their relationship or her place in his life. It just kind of turned me off. In one breath, Grace was calling a girl a slut for walking around in a pair of panties and that is all and in the next, she is pulling the same stunt for Shane at her apartment, walking around half dressed in front of him and Lea. I don't know any woman who does this, even ones with awesome bodies are not this self assured that they would walk around half naked like that. I really didn't want to bash this book, but there are just too many things that bothered me to give it a flowery review, it wouldn't have been honest. However, as I previously said, I have high hopes for this author's work and I'm sure people will eat this stuff up too, it's just not my cup of tea. 1.5 stars.