Every Day

Every Day - Sometimes, you come across a book that sinks into your conscience and makes you want to rethink your outlook on the world. This book did that for me. It was a struggle, a notion is presented in this book that I had never fully explored and it is one that, in the end, I know that I don’t agree with. I think that I am pretty open-minded when it comes to love. I encourage and support anyone’s right to love whoever they want, gay, straight, bi-sexual…it doesn’t matter to me or bother me in the least to be around anyone displaying their love. However, for myself, I am heterosexual and although there are women who I think are beautiful and women who I have thought were sexy, also women who have captivated me with their personalities and I have fallen in love with them in platonic ways, I just don’t have it in me to be sexually attracted to them. In Every Day, David Levithan challenges those ideas. The question of the novel is whether you can romantically love someone’s soul, reguardless of the body it inhabits. I tried really hard to see it from A’s perspective, he has been travelling his entire life, jumping from body to body every day. As A has inhabited the bodies of males and females, and some of them transgendered, he (she? It isn’t really defined, but for this review, I’ll be referring to him as he) feels that he is neither male nor female and both. A wakes up on day 5994 of his life to find himself inhabiting the body of a punk teenage boy named Justin and ends up falling for Justin’s neglected girlfriend Rhiannon. The problem is that as the clock strikes midnight, just as Cinderella did, A is forced to leave the one perfect day he had with the first person he was able to form the connection of love with. Thus the journey begins of him trying to find his way back to Rhiannon using the different bodies he inhabits and trying to convince Rhiannon that love is worth overcoming the obstacle of constant change. The thing that bothered me was that Rhiannon was expected to love A, no matter the body, it was as if A was disappointed in her on the days where she was more hesitiant to have a physical connection with him such as when he was female or one time when he was in a 300 pound body. I thought this was kind of unkind to put such expectations on her, physical attraction does account for a lot of what brings two people together, the personality is what keeps them together after the initial attraction is made.It’s an awesome idea and executed brilliantly. I’ve never read another David Leviathan book before, but I’ve browsed through them at the library and read some of the blurbs on the back and because of that, I wasn’t expecting this book to be too paranormal or contain many elements of science fiction. Because of that, I think I was able to enjoy it without getting irritated that nothing was explained as far as David’s existence went, however, I would love it if DL wrote a sequel detailing more about others like David (including one of the other characters in the book, won’t spoil who it is) and why they are made to live the way that they do. Leviathan is a brilliant writer. His words flow so wonderfully and the little bits of knowledge that he drops as observances of the world are spot on perfection. Some of my favorite quotes:"This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it's just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that is how it is, this is how it will be.""I wanted love to conquer all. But love can't conquer anything. It can't do anything on its own. It relies on us to do the conquering on it's behalf."Overall, I could easily recommend this book and will be rushing to pick up other DL books because I can see him becoming one of my favorite authors easily. 4 STARS.