The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber Wow, this book was over 800 pages and although I normally feel like my brain ran a marathon after such a long book, I didn't feel like that at all with TCPATW. The way the book starts off, you feel pulled along through the streets of London by a funny and slightly cynical tour guide who is the book itself. This is the first book I have read where the book (or the author?) plays a character, but he is so present on every page it feels like you and he are spectors flying after Sugar the prostitute who yearns for a better place in her world. I loved the feel of it and the way the author would attach you to a different character to follow, it seemed everytime the story started to get a little stale you were whisked away to something fresh and new. Michel Faber is a genius with his words, literally(duh), there were brilliant quotes throughout every single page one of my favorite,"A truly modern man, William Rackham is what might be called a superstitious atheist Christian; that is, he believes in a God who, while he may no longer be responsible for the sun rising, the saving of the Queen or the provision of daily bread, is still the prime suspect when anything goes wrong."See, the thing that made this novel work so well was that the subject matter was pretty heavy and could have been depressing, but for the little interjections of comedy here and there. This was a good book, but definitely different for the normal stuff I read. The strength in the writing kept me reading it although I didn't really connect with any of the characters as most of the major players were depicted in such a gritty way it made them feel completely unrelatable to me. It makes me feel kind of sad to not rate it a five star book, but to do that, I need to feel that emotional connection and that was the only thing this book lacked. Overall though, it was a good read! One more quote that for some reason made me think of the person who recommended this book to me (Tarryn Fisher brilliant author extrodinaire with superb book tastes)." 'There's a simply thundering call nowadays for books that destroy the fabric of our society. That goes for novels, too,' says Ashwell, winking pointedly at William. 'Do keep that in mind if you still mean to produce anything in that field.'"