Painted Faces

Painted Faces - L.H. Cosway 3.5 Stars. Gah, I wrote out a long review and my computer froze just as I was finished with it, so this one will be short and to the point. What I liked:-It was a very unique story for the contemporary romance genre. You don't see too many about a straight drag queen and the woman who falls for him. I was a little hesistant after reading the synopsis, but I'm pretty open-minded (and one of my favorite authors was reading and loving it, plus I won a copy from her) so I figured, what the heck, no loss on my part to give it a try. I'm so happy I did because it ended up being a very sweet story and the writing was good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to dole out the money for another from this author.-The characters were given real personalities...all of them. One thing that ticks me off is when authors cut corners and insert the random bimbo who hits on the love interest just to add friction to the story. I HATE random bimbos. Seriously...I want to write a book called Indie Book Whore: The true story of the skank making out with your man. I would include a different chapter for each skank except for the two girls who screwed Travis in the living room in Beautiful Distaster, they'd have to share a chapter. Anyway, it would just tell the encounters from their side because there is no such thing in real life as a woman who just fucks a dude or comes on to him because she is a skank, they are all real people who have the same desires for happiness as our MCs and I think their story would be interesting to hear. Okay, done with my tangent, but this author did the rival woman justice by making her human and not having the MC hate on her throughout. I applaud her for that.What bothered me some:-There wasn't enough conflict in the story. It's awesome that Fred was able to accept Viv's lifestyle from the get go, that is the kind of person that I would like to know and can really respect, however, it doesn't make for much of an interesting read when she is so accepting. I would have liked to feel some kind of inner conflict with it, I mean, come on... I am pretty open-minded but if I met a dude who liked to dress like a lady and was attracted to him, it would be an adjustment for me and there would be some things that I would question about his sexuality or reasoning for doing so. I would have liked to hear even some internal struggle from Fred about these issues but she really just blindly accepts it all and, as I said before, it's cool, it's just not what I want when I am reading a CR.-It felt a little predictable near the end and because of the fact that there wasn't too much tension between the MCs, it ended up feeling a little anticlimatic by the end. Like I mentioned before, it would have been absolutely awesome if this story had more conflict because all of the ingredients were there for a kick ass 5 star read, the plot could have been strengthened so much with just a little more drama.Overall, it was a very good read. It's perfect for anyone wanting to get away from the ho hum same ol same ol crud that has been coming out lately. It was a refreshing new take on the love story.